Blogging is, like any other form of art, filled with traps that sap your creativity and productivity. At the end of the day you are left with nothing to show on the blank screen staring back at you and disappointed readers who see nothing updated on your blog. In this post, we have listed the top 5 blogging traps that you must look to avoid so that you continue writing and updating your blog regularly. Check them out and steer clear of these blogging traps:
- Too Many Ideas: Blogging is a personal medium but that does not mean that you will pack in whatever is going on in your mind in one single blog post! Follow the cardinal rule: one idea per blog post. There may be different aspects to a topic. In such cases, serialize your blog posts. Do not cramp in too many ideas in a single post because readers feel claustrophobic. The attention span of online readers is short anyway!
- Too Long: This one follows from the previous point: keep your blog post limited to a short length. The longer you drag it, the greater is the tendency of your readers to get distracted or disinterested. Keeping it precise and relevant will ensure that your readers get to the bottom of the post without being bored. Upto 1000 words with clear paragraphs/heading would be perfectly fine
- Too Often: Too many blog posts on your blog within a short period of time dilute the effect of your posts. Readers are spoilt for choice and they jump around without really reading any of the posts with interest. Surfing through your blog will definitely not help your case. To make them read, publish less frequently but of great quality so that it makes an impact and readers are waiting for more.
- Too Much Editing: Editing your blog posts cruelly is necessary, but if you feel obsessed about every word you write, your blog post will never be finished! Heavy editing also makes your thoughts appear disjointed. Edit judiciously and walk away from the computer when you feel bogged down from the editing work. Come back later.
- Too Much Impact: Do not expect all your blog posts to go viral and create a flurry on the internet every time you publish! Blog posts find their own popularity and number of ‘shares’. You cannot control that. Your job is to write well and promote well. Let not the outcome dictate your blogging efforts.