To fully understand the necessity of easy and clutter-free usability on websites, think of your own experiences of working through some websites with below-par usability. Think of the frustrated groans that escaped your lips as you struggled to find what you are looking for! Websites with poor usability are doomed to fail even if they play all the internet marketing rules to the T. It is so because users are turned off easily when you don’t provide them with a quality website. Here are the top 4 website usability lessons you have got to master:
This is one area where you cannot go wrong. Segregate your website’s information into clearly-demarcated categories. That way your online visitors will know where to look for what they want. Confusing category names consume time and also make it difficult for users to locate necessary information.
A website is incomplete without an internal search box. Users with little time to spare will find it much more convenient if there was a search box to make things easier for them. The search box must return relevant results and also some suggested ones in case the user does not know the names of certain products and services.
When you are placing web links to direct the user to some other web page within your website, make the links obvious. Use a different color for the anchor text and you can also underline it. That way the user will know where to click on and do away with them hunting for web links. Use separate colors to indicate web links that they have already clicked and visited and those that they are yet to use.
Websites with sub-standard content or designs will fall back on the usability quotient for obvious reasons. No one likes to plod through a website that offers no comfort to the eyes or brain. Improve the content of your website and also work on the web designing factor. Keep your website uncluttered and open to white spaces. Remember that too much of information packing will prove to be counter-productive.
10 Best Website Usability Tips & Strategies
When it comes to website usability, there are several tips and strategies you can implement to create an exceptional user experience. Here are some of the best practices:
- Simplify navigation: Ensure that your website’s navigation is intuitive and easy to follow. Use clear labels, logical page hierarchy, and breadcrumbs to guide users through your site.
- Optimize loading time: Slow-loading websites can lead to high bounce rates. Optimize your website’s performance by compressing images, minimizing code, and leveraging browser caching.
- Make it mobile-friendly: With the increasing use of smartphones, it’s crucial to have a responsive design that adapts to different screen sizes. Mobile-friendly websites provide a seamless user experience across devices.
- Prioritize content legibility: Use readable fonts, appropriate font sizes, and sufficient contrast between text and background. Organize content with headings, subheadings, bullet points, and paragraphs to enhance readability.
- Create a visual hierarchy: Use visual cues such as size, color, and typography to highlight important elements and guide users’ attention. A clear visual hierarchy helps users understand the content and navigate effectively.
- Optimize forms and input fields: Keep forms simple and concise, only asking for necessary information. Use appropriate validation messages and provide clear instructions to make the form-filling process smooth.
- Enhance error handling: Error messages should be informative, concise, and help users understand how to correct the issue. Provide clear instructions or suggestions on how to resolve errors.
- Ensure cross-browser compatibility: Test your website on different browsers and devices to ensure consistent functionality and appearance across various platforms. This enhances the user experience for all visitors.
- Maintain consistency: Use consistent design elements, layout, and branding throughout your website. Consistency creates familiarity and makes it easier for users to navigate and engage with your content.
- Conduct user testing: Regularly test your website with real users to identify pain points, gather feedback, and make improvements. User testing provides valuable insights into how users interact with your website.
By implementing these tips and strategies, you can enhance the usability of your website and provide a positive experience for your visitors.
Brands with best website usability
Here are a few brands whose websites are considered the best for usability:
- Credit Karma
- Virgin America
These brands have been recognized for their user-friendly interfaces and seamless user experiences, making them stand out in terms of website usability.