Comment marketing, the trend of leaving comments on blogs and websites across the internet, sounds like a product of a bygone era. Look around the online marketing world today and like many hot trends of yesteryears, this fad has died a cold, premature death. However, it seems like this method of digital marketing was only in the dormant phase for some years. Today, comment marketing is suddenly finding takers and jostling around with new-age means of marketing online. There is a reason why we are talking about it now, in this day and time.
For starters, you know the benefits of comment marketing, especially if you belong to the initial days of online marketing. You also know that a major reason why leaving comments faded out is that people were abusing and overusing it. Comments became spam and there were automated software to post comments on infinite number of blogs and websites. People did not take these comments seriously and that is why no one clicked on links embedded in the comments sections. Finally it was not worth the resources anymore and the method slid off the cliff.
This is also the reason why this method is now coming back into the arena. Because no one is doing it today, you can start off doing it and reap the benefits as well! It’s as simple as that. The benefits, if you look closely, have multiplied. Today, your very profile for leaving comments is a link in itself. You can attach the profile to your social media pages across the spectrum. Additionally, you can leave links in the comments section. The online market is not saturated with these comments at present so people are more willing to click on the embedded links. There is the extra impetus as people are more reliant on user reviews than ever before.
In short, comment marketing is back with a bang! As with the previous time, you need to be careful about this tool in order to pick up benefits from this method. Here are some pointers to keep you on track:
- Topicality matters: Try not to speak on topics that are not associated with your domain of business or interest. People are more aware than ever about their rights as a netizen. They are not going to tolerate flippant comments and views, more so if you are not in the know of such things. Talk on topics where you are qualified to speak.
- Research platforms: You cannot possibly attach comments everywhere and anywhere you like. You need to be sparingly visible in order for people to take you and your views seriously. Conduct a thorough research on the platforms where you can voice your views. If you are choosy about platforms, people will recognise that you are not a glib talker but quite wise with words.
- Give due credit: You are leaving comments on someone’s work. Leave comments by expressing your respect and gratitude for the written piece where you are commenting. Even if you differ from the views expressed in the piece, you can always be respectful and put your views with studied professionalism. This should not turn into a mud-slinging exercise by any stretch of the imagination.
- Add something new: There is little point in reiterating the points and arguments put forth by the writer of the blog or web content in your comment. Instead, think of something unique and new to add to the existing material. It can be a continuation of the points in the original blog post. It can be a counter-argument. When you do that, people reading the blog post or web page will find your appended comment worth reading. If you make sense, they will click on links embedded in your comment or simply go to your profile from the comment box.
- Write well: It may be a comment box but it holds much importance for you. Write your comment well, edit it and format it properly. Your comment will be what you are to these diverse groups of readers. Make a strong, favourable impression if you want them to pay attention to your business or website.
Ironical as it may sound, leave a comment with your views on this subject!