Comment marketing, the trend of leaving comments on blogs and websites across the internet, sounds like a product of a bygone era. Look around the online marketing world today and like many hot trends of yesteryears, this fad has died a cold, premature death. However, it seems like this method of digital marketing was only in the dormant phase for some years. Today, comment marketing is suddenly finding takers and jostling around with new-age means of marketing online. There is a reason why we are talking about it now, in this day and time.
For starters, you know the benefits of comment marketing, especially if you belong to the initial days of online marketing. You also know that a major reason why leaving comments faded out is that people were abusing and overusing it. Comments became spam and there were automated software to post comments on infinite number of blogs and websites. People did not take these comments seriously and that is why no one clicked on links embedded in the comments sections. Finally it was not worth the resources anymore and the method slid off the cliff.
This is also the reason why this method is now coming back into the arena. Because no one is doing it today, you can start off doing it and reap the benefits as well! It’s as simple as that. The benefits, if you look closely, have multiplied.
Today, your very profile for leaving comments is a link in itself. You can attach the profile to your social media pages across the spectrum. Additionally, you can leave links in the comments section. The online market is not saturated with these comments at present so people are more willing to click on the embedded links. There is the extra impetus as people are more reliant on user reviews than ever before.
In short, comment marketing is back with a bang! As with the previous time, you need to be careful about this tool in order to pick up benefits from this method. Here are some pointers to keep you on track:
How to do effective comment marketing?
How to do comment marketing effectively? Reap the benefits of getting high quality mentions & back links through effective blog comment marketing. Find below the steps how to do comment marketing.
Try not to speak on topics that are not associated with your domain of business or interest. People are more aware than ever about their rights as a netizen. They are not going to tolerate flippant comments and views, more so if you are not in the know of such things. Talk on topics where you are qualified to speak.
You cannot possibly attach comments everywhere and anywhere you like. You need to be sparingly visible in order for people to take you and your views seriously. Conduct a thorough research on the platforms where you can voice your views. If you are choosy about platforms, people will recognise that you are not a glib talker but quite wise with words.
Give due credit
You are leaving comments on someone’s work. Leave comments by expressing your respect and gratitude for the written piece where you are commenting. Even if you differ from the views expressed in the piece, you can always be respectful and put your views with studied professionalism. This should not turn into a mud-slinging exercise by any stretch of the imagination.
Add something new
There is little point in reiterating the points and arguments put forth by the writer of the blog or web content in your comment. Instead, think of something unique and new to add to the existing material. It can be a continuation of the points in the original blog post. It can be a counter-argument. When you do that, people reading the blog post or web page will find your appended comment worth reading. If you make sense, they will click on links embedded in your comment or simply go to your profile from the comment box.
It may be a comment box but it holds much importance for you. Write your comment well, edit it and format it properly. Your comment will be what you are to these diverse groups of readers. Make a strong, favourable impression if you want them to pay attention to your business or website.
Ironical as it may sound, leave a comment with your views on this subject!
Do’s & Don’ts of Comment Marketing
- Write meaningful comment.
- Write your own real name in name field.
- Write relevant comment to the subject.
- Add value to your comment by putting real opinions or insights or information.
- Add your own uniqueness. Be if wit, controversy, agreement, different perspective.
- Refer other commentators, reply & connect.
- Do not spam with promotional links blindly. Add value.
- Do not write just generic comment without reading the article.
- Do not put hate speech or harsh words even if you do not agree. You can write it in a better way.
- Do not use automated software to comment.
- Do not push yourself hard to differentiate do-follow or no follow. If you write good comment that has value, can give you good traffic and popularity in long run.
- Do not use your brand name or company name in name field of the comment box. People love connecting with other human beings, not entity or object.
How to build your comment marketing strategy?
- Determine your goals – Back links? Traffic? Influence build up? Engagement?
- Plan out the measurement metrics – Referral visit in Google analytics or backlinks in search console
- Identify list of websites for engagement
- Thoroughly research about the topics, content, author’s opinions, jot down your own points.
- Create comment alert system via subscription to the blog or google alert with specific keywords or topics
- Use social media to share or amplify your comment.
- Put comment thought provoking so that it attracts more users to engage.
This is Time We Out-grow Comment Spamming
This is Time We Out-grow Comment Spamming. There is hardly anything more thankless than comment moderation.
Starting from news sites to all marketing spaces, all site owners are happy to do away with the tiny little space for comment that is often filled with the most grotesque and irrelevant write-ups or links. The unprovoked thin comments or pushed links can be put with good intentions, but they surely do not add any value to the discussion thread.
It is difficult to resist the temptation of spamming, no matter how detrimental its result seem to be. Nonetheless, there are inflammatory comments that despite being relevant to the topic, are unkind to the writer or his views. Even the most talented and experienced of writers experience bitterness through such comments during their lifetime.
There is hardly anything more thankless than comment moderation. No matter how strong and difficult barriers are erected, spammers seem to find their ways into the comment section of a particular write-up. It consumes valuable time to do the moderation process.
If negative comments are dangerous why should we retain the comment section?
- Initially, commenting secured its space on the blog pages. People started learning the art of commenting from each other, they depended on one another for detailed information on a matter, they created a network while cultivating and nurturing a relationship through similar or conflicting ideas.
- Google says comments are great for SEO and it can never be wrong. A healthy communication among the readers definitely establishes a site’s quality. This way, comments became part and parcel of quality and informative content.
- There have been spam comments since the very first day when the first blogger would probably have thought of putting their ideas on the keyboard. Why on earth do they bother writers anymore? It is all the sweat and efforts of the writer that makes that makes it painful for allowing meaningless links finding place in the comment section. It can be annoying to the author who pours his heart and soul into the write-up. He can never allow a slew of vultures to spot the space for putting a link.
- Initially, the writers were more than happy to garner positive criticism in the form of comments. Pertinent questions were asked with more zeal. Some engaging ones even challenged the value and a few ideas placed by the writer. They attracted more upvotes to remain at the top of the least for a considerable time. There are a few solutions to these problems.
- Comment moderation is one effective idea that helps clearing off the queues up elements that you do not want below your effective work.
- If every comment becomes subject to approval, only good and effective ones will remain in the line.
- Closing the comment section might put an end to the trouble completely. However, that can never be a viable solution as it would shut the door on multiple quality comments and some effective points.
Bottom line is, the comment section always had potential to nurture fantastic content for overall good of the industry.
- The discussion question in the comment section can be considered as the gem to spark and infuse life into the complete conversation. The reader should see that question right after reading the content and feel like engaging himself in the discussion procedure.
There might be a need to…
- Stay up till midnight for comment moderation
- Try to guess the identity of the author
- Publish the comment
- Thumb-up the discussion question to make it stay on top of the comment thread
All these procedures require a lot of manual work.
- Something that seems to be spam to me might not be the same to another reader. Judging the quality of comments is a completely subjective theory that demands subjective analysis.
- Discussion questions not only collect a whopping number of upvotes but help trigger analytical reviews that more readers feel tempted to contribute in. Naturally, the comment thread gets a strong foundation and easy growth through such questions.
Despite all the efforts made, comment spammers can still be spotted at every corner. Even the most delicious mug of coffee leaves grounds at the bottom and probably that is the element which make us crave for another cup to wash off the residue.
Successful Blog Commenting Is Helpful In Getting Higher Page Rank or Page Authority (PA)
Blog commenting is one of the best important means for SEO link building.Marketing plus endorsement is vital if you wish your blog to obtain a high traffic.
Blogging has lots of ins and outs, which you will find out as you start blogging. The most important thing in relation to a blog is that the comments segment and the total amount of input there is a positive sign of the triumph of your blog. Whether the comments on a blog are gracious or rude, whether they are supportive or contradictory with you; somehow, someway you have made visitors feel the need to leave a remark or comment.
But, the most important thing for you is to choose the right blog. Always choose the blog, which has innovative and resourceful headlines, which are contentious and invoke thought. If the blog you choose has simple and inactive topic, leave it. Your selected blog need to be instructive as well as instructional. It is vital for you to check the list of visitors on the blog. If the blog is getting good (positive) response and has a long list of visitors, you can choose it.
Blog comments are one of the best and important means for SEO link building. Marketing plus endorsement is very necessary if you wish your blog to obtain a high volume of visitants.
After choosing your favorite blog, you can start commenting on it. The majority of blog writers wish their visitors or readers to take part through commenting, so having individuals post remarks on the topics is normally a fantastic thing. The blog writers must allow visitors add more content to their blog, which, in turn, help the blog to gain a better SEO. The blog is nothing without reader input. With the help of the straightforward guidelines, blog writers can raise the possibility of their comments being interpret and taken in a serious manner, and cheer blog authors to keep writing helpful and appealing articles. Before start commenting on a blog you chose, you must:
- Interpret any subsisting comments initially. Take additional care to understand any comments recorded by the author, as they tend to elucidate the blog content.
- Append value to the conversation. Consider whether what you’re going to tell will truly be of use to other people reading your remark.
- Keep away from small or two-word comments.
- No signatures, please. Blog posts aren’t mailing lists or discussion forums.
- Stay well-mannered and polite.
Comment posting is free of charge and trouble-free to do. Besides, comment posting can also fabricate top quality links, which supplies page rank as well as traffic. Keep in mind that blog comments are frequently described as the livelihood of a blog.
There are also blog commenting tools, which you have to keep in mind. Always pick the blog commenting tools, which will assist you and help you attain your objectives more quickly. Some of the blog commenting tools are:
- Automated Blog Commenting Tools
- Manufacturing Backlinks
- Stolen or Hacked Links
- Putting up 10-20 comments with links every day
- Guest Blogging
You should be very very careful while using blog commenting softwares. It’s not recommended. Manual natural blog commenting is the best & recommended option.
How to do blog comment marketing?
- Set Up Your Gravatar Account
- Find Out the Relevant Blogs for Commenting (Domain level relevant & page level relevant blogs)
- Use backlink analysis tools for PA & DA of the chosen blogs (Also analyze spam score, citation flow, trust flow etc. )
- Use Google search operators to do a refined search to find the most relevant blogs (For example, if you are searching digital marketing blogs, you can search with this intitle:digital AND intitle:marketing inurl:blog
- Follow the Do’s & Don’ts of blog commenting
- Record your blog commenting links to check back if approved or not.
User Interaction – How to Get Conversation in the Comments Section Going While You Blog
Maintaining a blog is an exciting but challenging task. In the current age of diminishing reader interest and aggressive online competition, getting visitors to actively contribute to and comment on your blog is perhaps one of the more exigent challenges. Here are a few pointers on how best to increase user interaction through the comments section of your blog:
1. Simplify the Comments Procedure
The simpler you make it for users to have a say, the greater will be the number of comments generated. Therefore have a simple comments procedure wherein users are spurred to interact sans impediments like registration formalities, long-winded text boxes, and jargon. This ease of commenting will definitely prompt visitors to comment more, more often, and – importantly – faster.
2. Frame a Comprehensive Comments Policy
At the outset, possessing a comments policy is imperative. Having formulated the comments policy, you ought to make it exhaustive and keep it as uncomplicated as possible. Your policy should:
a) Explain the comments procedure thoroughly, unraveling any tricky steps along the way.
b) Elucidate your tough stance on decent, unprejudiced, and healthy conversation.
c) Be strict about spam rules.
Not only would these steps engender more comments, they will also help keep unwarranted remarks at bay.
3. Encourage Comment Making Explicitly
As a blog owner, it is incumbent on you to adopt a very active approach. Thus simply having a discrete comments section is not sufficient; you should energetically and explicitly encourage comments through your blog posts as well. Seeing these conspicuous invitations would propel more users to comment and thus improve conversation.
4. Host Appealing Content
In order to attract maximum user participation, your blog should be suffused with absorbing content. Recommendations in this regard:
a) The content must be vigorously kept error-free and unbiased at all times with a special focus on appropriate language.
b) Your blogs posts must feature topical, thought-provoking, and engaging material triggering more people to air their views.
c) Tricks like compelling language, having stimulating queries as titles, and abridging blog posts can greatly assist in bringing in supplementary comments and sparking conversation.
d) Sometimes it pays to host polemic subjects to invite impassioned and increased comments; however you must tread with caution to avoid sensationalizing any issue.
5. Adopt Modesty and Civility
You would do well to be as unpretentious and considerate as possible; these qualities should reflect in all your blog posts and dealings thus:
a) You must write with adequate authority never appearing to be condescending or supercilious at any time.
b) Accepting your mistakes gracefully is a worthy practice. Therefore you ought to acknowledge errors such as grammatical gaffes and inadvertent factual inaccuracies with humility and promise to redress them forthwith.
c) Never react angrily to any adverse comments. Instead recognize the literary freedom of the user and express your response tactfully.
d) Similarly you ought to praise well-framed comments publicly.
6. Participate Enthusiastically Yourself
Your comments section should not be restricted to external participation alone – it should also host your active involvement initiating conversation and replying to the various comments contained therein.
The above actions and approach will manifest your blog in a positive light yielding more comments.