Take a look into the statistics of online search trends over the last few years and you will know that a wide range of people steadily keep searching for ways to make money with a website. While most of them probably look for tips and tricks to become millionaire overnight; the unsuspecting, not-so-search-savvy ones get easily trapped in one or the other online scams that misguide them promising the universe at minimum or no effort at all. These scamsters justify their demand for a small chunk of money from one’s pocket, in return, for the service they provide. Using some proven techniques they lure people away from their main focus, who end up more than frustrated for obvious reasons. Not surprisingly, you have landed up on this page perhaps because you have typed one of the most popular phrases on a search engine-“how to make money online with a website”.
Here we have made an attempt to understand your query and have highlighted some avenues of earning money online to give you a meaningful guidance. Maintaining the same breadth let us tell you at the very beginning that there are a lot of genuine lists over the internet, longer enough to overwhelm you especially when you are just starting. Keep a tab on those lists as you will gain from those later when you accumulate some confidence. We are showcasing some methods which one can easily start with. Let’s check them out here now.
If you have a website or have an idea to start a website which you want to monetize from; before jumping the guns ensure that the following are in place,
1. Search for a Profitable Topic:
Having a great idea is just not enough to make money online. In fact there are a lot of people who have unique ideas, but your idea will only sell when you have traffic to your website -a lot of inbound traffic. So a nice way to set sailing will be from a popular search engine like Google, Yahoo or Bing to figure out what people “demand” (search) and what “supply” (of websites) are there to meet that. Find the right profitable opportunity where you can fit in better.
2. Optimize Content for Search Engines:
- Search Engines love content. Once you finalize a profitable topic, you will need to do the following,
- Build a lot of unique, targeted and theme-based content around that topic.
- Get backlinks from related sites
- Create clean, structured layouts of your webpages
3. Minimize page loading time:
Check that the sizes of graphics or images you use on your webpage are not hindering the load time beyond a permissible limit.
4. Do Keyword Research:
Use tools like Google Adwords to find out what keywords people are using to get to the websites which cover your topic. Go for long-tail keywords, the keywords which have less competition, to increase the chance to rank higher on search results.
5. Provide Value Through Your Content:
Regardless of what kind of website you will create, develop unparalleled content to give value to your visitors. Build trust, be transparent and show your visitors that you are creating the content for helping them, not for making money. A lot of free and valuable content will attract an increasing number of traffic to your site. A steady supply of such content will help you build a reputation and retain visitors, which will add to your chances of monetizing from your website.
6. Build Your Website:
To be successful, it doesn’t matter what method you follow to build your website. What matters the most is how you deliver your content. Most people today use WordPress as the platform as this is useful in developing website as well as delivering content.
When you have done all the above ground works, things will become easier for you to explore avenues and earn from your website. We have listed a few options here for you which, as stated earlier, are easier to pick up,
- Advertising: This is the most popular of all the options as is evident from their presence on all kinds of websites. The idea is to provide space on your website and invite others to put Ads on that space. Consider earmarking space to allow Ads on your website while designing layout of it. Google AdSense, a Pay-Per-Click method, is a very popular way of earning from this avenue. You can also look to profit from methods like Pay-Per-1000-Clicks or Pay-Per-Time-Frame as these are less traded options
- Affiliate Marketing: This one gives you a lot of prospect to monetize with your website. Here you write or develop content on your website to sell other’s products and thereby earn from commissions attached with those products. Sometimes these commissions can be very lucrative depending upon what product you choose to sell. You develop traffic to your site and sell products related to your site’s content by guiding them to the merchant’s website.
- Selling Own Product: This is another technique that you may soon try to implement. If you have your own product you can sell this through your website and even if you do not have, you can create one and sell. Create some valuable content, like a collection of tips and tricks on various topics which people may like to read. Create a volume of such content and convert it to PDF. Now sell this as e-Book from your site. Put a few paragraphs from the e-Book on your website to check if visitors like your topic and then guide them to a Call-To-Action button for buying your e-Book.
- Selling Services: This is one of the most powerful techniques to earn money online and easier to implement on your website. You just need to have a service page on your website listing all the services you can provide while stating why or how they are different from others. You then add a “Buy” button to allow your visitors click on the button. Just remember to keep the price of your services as low as possible in the beginning.
- Review Products: This option is very powerful for those who can write unique content, review products on their Blogs. If the product you are reviewing has a good following and an affiliate program attached with it, you stand a good chance to laugh your way to the bank.
- Email Marketing: This is a tested method to attract visitors to your site and thereby earn from the other methods. If you have a long email list, send personalized content to people informing them about your new products, services or solution. You can set up an email signup form on your Blogs to have a steadily increasing email list, which you can utilize for sending personalized information and attract traffic to your website.
- Selling Website: Last but not the least, this is the most lucrative of all the options discussed so far and requires you to invest more time. You can work hard and develop some unique and valuable content on you website so that your site is positioned higher on PR or Alexa counts. When you gain such popularity, you may consider selling it and earning huge profit. Flippa.com is a good site where you will find people bidding for such opportunities.
Before we conclude, let us tell you the harshest truth that there is no replacement for hard-work and to earn online one needs to put in that hard-work on a regular basis for a longer period of time to see any success. Just like any other legitimate method of earning money, technique to earn money with a website has its own timeframe, involves dedication to work and has its own ways to follow. So be cautious not to get mislead by the sugar-coated words of fake promises by the frauds which may permanently shy you away from this wonderful avenue of generating genuine income with right approach and dedication. Follow some trusworthy blogs such as Problogger.net from Darren Rowse, John Chow.com to get some more detailed ideas.