Why you should learn digital marketing? – Digital Marketing Career, Scope, Opportunities & Future
Degree never earns you an instant job or sustainability or promotion, it’s the hands-on skills, expertise and the all around ability you posses that helps you make a difference. Check out why you should learn digital marketing today. 800% increase in job opportunities in last 5 years. Entrepreneurship is also on big rise. faster career path & more than 60% better than other career courses. 1.8X average salary hike in a year for right candidates. Huge scope for Part-time passive income too. Globally accepted skill. Top MNCs, SMEs & startups have a huge & increasing demand for the digital marketing professionals & Freelancers. 1/3rd of businesses are planning to introduce a Digital Transformation program & 1/3 already have. Highest industry growth & better job security.
- 800% increase in job opportunities in last 5 years. Entrepreneurship is also on big rise. Digital Marketing career path is more than 60% better than others.
- 1.8X average salary hike in a year for right candidates. Huge scope for Part-time passive income too. Globally accepted skill.
- Huge Demand – Top MNCs, SMEs & startups have a huge & increasing demand for the digital marketing professionals & Freelancers
- Highest Growth – 1/3rd of businesses are planning to introduce a Digital Transformation program & 1/3 already have. Highest industry growth & better job security.
What’s the Digital Trend in India?
Active Internet users – 697 Million as on 2020
Active Mobile Social Media Users – 230 Million as on Jan 2019
Most Prominent Digital Platforms – Facebook, Google, Youtube, LinkedIn, Instagram
% Used marketing medium – Digital Marketing 68%. Print – 9%, Radio – 6%, TV – 5%
Mobile ad spends % – Social Media (29%), Search (27%), Video (20%)
Data Sources: sokrati.com, socialsamosa.com, statista.com, socialbeat.in, comscore
So digital marketing career is on high demand for skilled professionals. Demand of expert marketing professionals were always there and in coming days it will be as usual and digital marketing is now replacing the traditional marketing, so the digital marketing career path is brighter and safer than other fields.
Why Digital Marketing is the best career option today? [Infographic]
- Diploma in Digital Marketing in Kolkata
- Digital Marketing Certification Training in Kolkata
- Online Digital Marketing Course
- Free SEO Course
Digital Marketing Career Statistics
According to a Study made by Direct Marketing Association, Digital Marketing Industry is worth $62 billion! Also, according to eMarketer, Last year, advertising via mobile phones and tablets rose 180 percent, to $4 billion. This market is estimated to touch $7.2 billion soon. This rise is leading for high demand for professionals skilled in Digital Marketing.
Digital marketing salary and digital marketing career path
The average pay for a Digital Marketing Manager is Rs 441,829 per year. On an average it varies from 1.08 Lac at lower end to 12 Lac per year at average end. Most people move on to other senior strategic management jobs if they have more than 10 years of experience in this field. They can earn upto 10 lacs per month (1.2 cr per year). Experience strongly influences income for this job. The highest paying skills associated with this job are Online Marketing, Social Media, Content Strategist, Data Scientist and Google Ad Words.
Source – Payscale
Growth of digital marketing in India
Let’s have a look at some interesting facts to give you an idea of how and where the world is heading as far as digitization is concerned.
- The Digital India Campaign started by PM Narendra Modi aims at encouraging each Indian to use digital platforms. Digital India to create 18 lac jobs… INR 4.5 lac crore to be invested” Narendra Modi @ Digital India Launch
- Low cost of mobile phones is making it easy for people to go online. In fact, India has one of the largest population of internet users. By 2025 there will be more than 900 million Internet users across the country. 3G/4G penetration has revolutionized the market scenario and created ample business opportunities for companies to reach out to customers online.
- It is estimated that by the year 2020, every company around the world will have an online presence. But in order to get high search engine rankings and increase customer base, these businesses will need digital marketers to guide them at every step.
- According to a report Digital Advertising in India, jointly published by IAMAI and IMRB, the value of ‘Online Advertising market in India is increasing at the rate of 30% year on year’.
- The e-commerce industry is growing at breakneck speed.
- More than 70% of marketers believe that traditional marketing models will not be sufficient to grow their business. They are developing marketing strategies by considering the digital media users in mind. As of the year 2016, 35% of companies already have a digital marketing strategy in place. They believe that this move will help them increase their revenues by 30%.
- A company is using its 75% marketing budget on digital marketing which was 2% in 2014. 46% consumers consider social media pages to check the reviews of consumers before making a decision which have urged 38% companies to hire more digital marketers for the promotion of their brand. Only US companies are spending $23.6 billion budget on digital ads and 4% companies are spending more than $1 million per annum on digital marketing. 49% consumers believe that brands with online presence are reliable and prefer those brands which are engaged with consumers.
Related Reading: Growth of digital marketing in India
Hence, digitization has become a movement. It is no longer an option for businesses. If they wish to survive in this competitive era, they need to market themselves on digital platforms.
Comparison of Digital Marketing With Other Job Oriented Courses
|Courses||Duration||Avg Fees||Probability of job||Last 3years stats||Avg Salary per month|
|MBA/PGDM||2 Years||4-6 Lacs||55%||35/100||Rs.24,000|
|B.Tech||4 Years||Upto 8 Lacs||19%||17/100||Rs.13,000|
|Digital Marketing||3/6/12 Months||50K||97%||97/100||Rs.21,000|
Most In-Demand Digital Marketing Skills
Digital Entrepreneurship is on rise
Why to adapt to a hybrid career model?
What is hybrid career model?
- WFH (Work from home)
- WFA (Work from anywhere)
- WFO (Work from office)
- Gig Economy & Gig based jobs
- Intrapreneurship (an employee to act like an entrepreneur within a company or other organization)
Education / Skill Set
- Mainstream Business Degree/Diploma + Futuristic Career / Professional Skills + Applicable Industry Skills + Life Skills + Multiple Exposures
Recent & upcoming changes in job market
The Indian Express Says (2021) – The hiring for remote jobs has increased 3 fold
“ Job posting for freshers increased by 157% from April/May 2020 to 364% from Aug 2020 onwards.” Sashi Kumar, MD of Indeed said this is because of the change in the mode of work.
“ The leading roles for freshers are in the areas of Administration (14%), Tech Software (10%), Customer Servicing (8%), Marketing (5%), Sales (4%)”
——————–Now Plan How a Hybrid Career Model Can Help —————-
Full Time vs Contingent Employees
Gartner research says –
32% of organizations are replacing full time employees with contingent workers as a cost saving measure. Also hybrid work model is on rise. Example: Google (50% people working in hybrid mode), TCS (By 2025, 75% will work in hybrid mode)
——————-It’s time to shift to a hybrid career model——————
Change in Interview pattern
Research by Jobvite says –
Digital communication tools such as AI job outreach programs are growing rapidly. 58% of recruiters are using Facebook & Linkedin to search and connect with candidates.
Rise of Gig based or On-Demand jobs
How to adapt to the changes?
—-Shift towards a hybrid career model—-Earlier you adapt, better the result ——–
The Guardian Newspaper says –
Interviews by Killian Fox & Joanne O’Connor
“My father had 1 job in his life. I have had 6 in mine, my kids will have 6 at the same time.”
This is the life inside the new Gig economy.
Ladder or Lattice Corporate Workplace Structure
Recently Lattice structure is preferred over ladder structure .
Lattice – Flat hierarchy or no hierarchy. More exposures. Multi-directional work. Intrapreneurship environment. Fluid Gig roles.
Ladder – Hierarchy based structure. More experience – One directional work. Corporate environment.
Now companies prefer more exposures than more experience. So what you need to do? Get more and more practical exposures.
Workplace monitoring is on rise
Technology advancement, wearable technologies, AI & more.
You must do your homework & your math well.
21 Futuristic Jobs that may emerge
How to prepare for the road ahead?
- Don’t underestimate human imagination & creativity
- Remember: Machine needs man.
- Prepare yourself for a hybrid career model
- Focus on mainstream education + business education + professional futuristic skill sets + applicable hands-on exposures + Life skills such as leadership, team work, flexibility, adaptability, Consistency, Patience, Clarity of thoughts, Incremental progress every day, Self introspection, Entrepreneurial ability, “Obey but lead” attitude, Problem solver attitude, Be Ability-focused rather than money-focused, Helpful nature, Managing Multi task & Multi-focus activities, Time management skill, Good Personality, Visionary skill (See long term than short term), Competitiveness etc
- Keep a watch on emerging technologies & learn. Create your backups.
PDF Handbook for Hybrid Career Model
Digital Marketing Career path
In your digital marketing career, you can start as a trainee and can go upto the level of MD / CEO / COO / CMO. There is no limit for the deserving and expert candidates.
- 0-1 years of experience: Digital Marketing Executive / SEO /SMO/ Executive.
- 1-3 years of experience: Digital Marketing Specialist/Expert/ Sr. Executive / Analyst.
- 3-5 years of experience: Digital Marketing Team Lead/Asst. Manager/Client Relationship Manager .
- 5 years of experience: Campaign Manager / Digital Marketing Manager/ Communication Manager/ Brand Manager.
- 6-8 years: Digital Marketing Strategist/Brand Strategist/ Sr. Manager.
- 8-10 year and above: Associate Vice President, Chief Marketing Officer.
Related Links –
- Free Digital Marketing Online Roundtables
- Digital Marketing Course Curriculum
- Job oriented career courses in Kolkata
- Best Digital Marketing Tools
- Best career courses for housewives
The latest changes in digital marketing career & opportunities
Digital marketing career & opportunities are making a fresh entry owing to the COVID-19 pandemic. The courses will help you in becoming a successful professional as this industry needs competent and fresh minds to drive businesses into the future.
Until the last year, some companies and organizations were apprehensive of the Digital platform controlling their entire business. They felt that interacting with their customers physically held better business possibilities and therefore kept their digital front functional but less actionable.
COVID -19 brings a shift in mindset
It is indeed a blessing that there is digital support to fall back on to keep the show running. Yes, if the Pandemic had hit a decade ago, the world would be grappling on their knees for earning a decent livelihood. Going by the demand of the day, Digital Marketing career & opportunities are a necessity now, and the smartest thing to do is to enroll in one to see your career rising.
The future is bright for digital marketing courses
Online marketing as it is more commonly called is the new and different approach to marketing. It is the trending buzz that is playing the role of capturing markets. The scope of Digital marketing is growing and, in some way, the only medium of reaching out to your consumers.
What is its purpose
It is the use of smart technology for promoting marketing products and services online or over the internet. A combination of different technological tools and functions that enable in understanding and analyzing the market supported by collecting data to achieve the best possibilities for business growth.
Today’s consumers prefer a personalized approach. A range of channels and devices are trying to reach the end consumers like computers, laptops, tabs, mobile phones, social media channels. In fact, to a great extent, they have become more effective than television. Indeed, digital media is invading the marketing with its direct interaction with consumers offering relevant, personal, timely service and information through preferred channels.
How to build a career in Digital Marketing
In 2020, it goes without saying that if you are interested in marketing, then Digital Marketing is perhaps the most lucrative career opportunity. There are many online courses provided by various institutes with a variety of Digital Marketing careers & opportunities. Owing to its openness, the involvement of students from any stream is likely to happen.
A wide choice for everyone, you can learn digital marketing for either improving your own business or helping others to lift their business on the digital platform. Unlike specialized fields, like medical, engineering, law etc. this career only expects you to have a clear understanding of how the internet works and to keep your eyes and mind open for what works on the web. Once you have learnt the ropes, the internet offers a broad scope to hone your skills. Besides no door to door or face to face interaction with customers is required. Work from the background and see the numbers reach to exponential heights.
So, what is digital marketing?
In simple terms, digital marketing is a process of marketing and selling products that include services online, utilizing a digital platform and the internet.
Techniques like Search Engine Optimization (SEO), Social Media Marketing (SMM), Pay Per Click (PPC), and Email Marketing are the main drivers of digital marketing.
The advantages of having a career in Digital Marketing
With the rapid growth and demand of the digital platform, Digital Marketing careers & opportunities are growing
A digital marketing professional is highly paid, as the marketing division of any industry now relies on a digital marketeer. The career offers ample opportunity with knowledge and innovation to create endless scopes for satisfying growth.
Why is it so relevant in today’s perspective?
It is the backbone of every marketing job. Marketers are expected to have digital media knowledge and a survey showing the important skills required for future marketing include digital marketing.
With the estimated demand and being the only fallback for marketing today, according to a latest Economic Times Survey, it is one of the 8 jobs that are likely to gain traction in the future. This observation is not limited to a region but applies to the world over.
It is not just the surveys. If you browse through any of the job portals you will find that there is a high demand for digital marketing professionals.
Opportunities and salaries
Digital Marketing encompasses various verticals that shoulder the task of leading a Digital marketing team.
The COVID 19 situation has created opportunities for new job roles in digital marketing, as one sees if they follow the salary trends.
Social media marketing is the most sought after in the Digital Marketing compass. Your job is to create awareness, engagement and finally conversion.
According to a report in the socialmediatoday
- More value will be given to Social media jobs and creativity skills
- The popularity of video content will continue to rise
- Original and unique content will be more appreciated
- Emotions like empathy, social consciousness and honesty will be the language on social platforms
- Marketing strategists will have to focus on community engagement and social listing
- New technologies will emerge and being adaptive to change will be the key
- Various industry experts have commented on how Social media is poised to lead the marketing initiatives for companies.
“Out of all marketing strategies, I believe that social media will be the main one to thrive in the post-COVID world,” says Lilach Bullock, one of the top social media power influencers.
After the pandemic hit the world the “the global social penetration rate reached 49 per cent, with East Asia and North America having the highest penetration rate at 71 and 69 per cent respectively, followed by Northern Europe at 67 per cent,” according to Statista.
They also predict that by 2023, monthly active social media users will touch 3.43 billion, around a third of Earth’s entire population. “In 2023, an estimated 800 million of these users are expected to be from China alone and approximately a 450 million from India.” https://www.statista.com/topics/1164/social-networks/
The transition and presence in social media have already been made by most top brands, therefore they are now accessible to users. Digital Marketing careers & opportunities in social media will lead you to create innovate and new strategies for these brands.
Job roles and that could fit you in Digital marketing
- Listing roles and responsibilities
- Digital Marketing Executive
- This person is responsible for online marketing strategies for the organization. Executes Marketing campaigns, looks after content management and much more. Follow the list below
- Ideates and executes digital marketing content
- Manages the organization’s website
- Optimizes content and sets unified brand identity on a website and social networking channels that the company uses like Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, Instagram, Google Plus, Pinterest, WhatsApp etc.
- Tracking traffic flow on the website and updates the company with internal reports from time to time.
- Checks and fixes the content error and organizes engagement through webinars and webcasts
- Regularly participates in networking events and product launches
- Keeps the brand attention active with innovation and study of new digital trends unveiled in the industry
- Meticulously works on the SEO of the webpages
- Posts the digital content on various social platforms along with audio content in various online sites and radio.
- Improves KPIs for social media with likes, shares, tweets etc.
- Conceiving penetrating emailers and SMS campaigns for wider marketing reachability
Digital Marketing Manager
The digital marketing manager is solely responsible for making the brand recognizable in the digital space. You can build Digital Marketing careers & opportunities with this role.
- Conceptualizes, executes and oversees dynamic marketing campaigns that help in catching eyeballs on the product and service offered by the company
- Champions brand management digitally
- Targets all traffic to the website to acquire leads
- Calculates and evaluates site traffic through analytic tools to use new digital technologies that bring the best results from marketing campaigns such as emails, social media, display and search advertising
Search Engine Optimizer- SEO executive
The first and foremost role of the SEO Specialist is to rank the webpage on the search engine result page and promote the webs traffic to the page. This is a high demand position and more and more companies are looking for specialists who can use their skills for the company’s benefit. The SEO job with a degree in digital marketing will give you a better standing. You experience and knowledge in technical skills and aptitude to keep yourself continuously upgraded will go a long way in your career enhancement
- On-site and off-site client analysis
- Using Google Analytics to compile reports on the performance of the digital initiatives
- Monitoring Google’s Algorithm.
- Expending the scope of on-page and off-page by contributing to the company’s blog
- Follow the latest keyword strategies to list down relevant keywords
Social Media Marketing Expert
Digital Marketing careers & opportunities for a Social media expert are immense. They consolidate a marketing plan. Select the marketing channels that would fit the company’s profile and then plan the content accordingly to fit the brand voice. The Expert needs to optimize the content to extract maximum engagement.
- Content strategies and campaigns which would include ideas, budget and scheduling the posts
- Understanding the social channels and promoting the products there
- Implementing competitive and audience research for social media marketing strategies
- Enhancing the visibility of the company page through social media platforms
- Finally achieving the web traffic through engagement and converting to earn revenue instrumented by a fool proof plan of digital marketing combined with social media
Digital Marketing Copywriter
Framing effective content for the website, social media channels emailers and every sort of communication. This role is vital for all digital messaging and brand positioning. A good copywriter can take the company to effective heights by creating engagement with interesting blog posts, video scripts and interactive posts.
- Understanding the brand language and customizing posts with the company profile in mind
- Studying the target audience and writing in the language that most relates to them
- Working with the team and making sure that the essence and voice of the communication is in sync with the thought presented by the copywriter
- Searching for fresh angles that appeal and create curiosity for in the audience
- Writing articles, blogs business pitches, eBooks, taglines, creating social media posts and writing video scripts
- Craft better business pitches to win new clients
- Matching digital content for infographics images and videos
Conversion Rate Optimizer
This individual is responsible for the company’s conversion strategy and it is a very important job role for the company. You can plan your Digital Marketing careers & opportunities on this too. Managing, testing and implementing each campaign that the company initiates to get maximum conversion from them. Here is a detailed list of what this role includes.
- Measuring the performance of CTAs through AB testing. Understanding and improving the conversion rates accordingly
- Deriving the most out of marketing conversion paths
- Using leads to an increase in the conversion rate
- Breaking into the potentials of the CTA, Landing pages and the most effective Lead generation forms
- Involving teams and suggesting plans in content creations for better and more effective conversion rates
- Optimizing the marketing funnel for best results
- Corresponding with the sales team to increase qualified marketing leads and conversion rates
Search Engine Specialist/Marketer – SEM Specialist
In large companies, there is a dedicated role for this position, but smaller companies expect Search Engine Optimization Marketers to take care of this role. What does this role encompass and how can your Digital Marketing careers & opportunities get a boost with this role?
Known as the SEM specialist, this individual is expected to target the number of leads and clicks based on the marketing budget. Manages bids, perform keyword research, analyze the success of ad content and tests the campaigns. Let’s look at the exact responsibilities
- Achieving maximum ROI and collecting and inferring data to identify trends and insight on paid search campaigns
- Studying PPC campaigns for analysis by tracking the reports obtained from web analytics
- Increasing the reach of search engine marketing campaigns on paid landing pages
- Budgeting campaigns and monthly expense
- Doing insightful web analysis
Inbound Marketing Manager
Attracting traffic by picking on qualified prospects and driving conversion is the principal focus of this role.
- Executes the creation of significant content that include blogs, eBooks, webinars, reports whitepapers, infographics which reach out to potential traffic
- Instrumenting the standard or innovative lead nurturing procedures
- Suggesting impressive and unique campaign ideas for inbound marketing
- Managing multi-channel marketing campaigns with effective creatives, boosting inbound marketing, SEO, email campaigns and connecting with customers through engagement strategies for maximum acquisition
Content Marketing Manager
A Content Manager sets the tone of the marketing language for perfect sale and promotion of the product. Other than managing blogs, campaigns, eBook publications, guest blogging, sales page, copywriting, video marketing principally encompasses the role of the content marketing manager. The list is endless and Digital Marketing careers & opportunities in this field are very challenging and creative.
- Understanding the sales language and optimizing the content accordingly
- Setting up an executable editorial plan and underlying a marketing content strategy that meets with the business goals following the criteria that resound with the SEO best practices
- Slot out a plan in categories based on structure, distributing them in the effective channels and managing the end product
- They too need to measure and optimize the content for driving maximum traffic by creating engagements and following leads
- Develop an editorial calendar
- Follow the customer feedback and generate engagement ideas based on the report
- Study and evaluate web traffic metrics
The person who translates raw data from the analytic tools to meaningful reports
- Identifying and understanding the business objectives of the company and their need for marketing
- Finding ways for effective data analysis by using correct strategies
- Spotting the most relevant and reliable data source that would benefit the company
- Lead and direct the data analysis team
- Using multiple sources like IT, operations and customer feedback to execute these reports for data analysis
- Use raw data and convert them as comprehensive business insight for better and effective output
- Presenting the analytical findings to the top management
Free resources for digital marketing training & career opportunities
Top 10 Sites for your career:
10 Tech Skills in demand
- Machine Learning
- Mobile Development
- SEO/SEM Marketing
- Data Visualization
- Data Engineering
- UI/UX Design
- Cloud Computing/AWS
11 Sites for Free Online Education
- Khan Academy
- iTunesU Free Courses
- MIT OpenCourseWare
- Stanford Online
- ict iitr
10 ict iitk
10 Sites to learn Excel for free
- Microsoft Excel Help Center
- Excel Exposure
- Excel Central
- Excel Hero b.
- Mr. Excel
- Improve Your Excel
- Excel Easy
- Excel Jet
10 Sites to review your resume for free
- Zety Resume Builder
- Resume dot com
- Resume Genius
- Resume Baking
10 Sites for Interview Preparation
All these jobs are high paying and much in demand. Digital Marketing careers & opportunities courses should be availed from reliable online institutes that offer value for money and guide you to become a thorough professional. Most jobs have immense scope for expansion, and you can expect to keep rising and earn better in these fields. So, don’t deliberate, just plunge into the course you would like to opt for.