Visitors from social media platforms represent both a great opportunity and a challenge. If you can engage them and get them excited about your business they are more likely to share your product, service, or content with their friends and followers. At the same time it is not easy to grab their attention! Most of these visitors saw either an ad or a post from you while they were happily browsing on their favorite social media platform and clicked over to your website. You only have a few seconds to grab their attention. Here are a few quick tips to make sure they stay engaged and hopefully share something positive back to their friends.
First, many of your social media visitors are on smartphones so before you do anything else let’s make sure your website is mobile friendly and lightning fast! We have a whole objective and task list to show you how to do just that so we won’t go any deeper into mobile performance here. Assuming you have that handled, here are a few more things you need to remember to lower your social media bounce rate:
- When you post or advertise on social media make sure the link back to your website goes to a page that is 100% related to what the post was about. If you are a florist posting about roses, do not send visitors to your homepage. Send them to a page on your website about roses. All to often we see great social media posts that attract a lot of visitors but they leave the second they click the link because the website owner sends them to a page that is not directly related to what the post was about.
- Encourage the visitor to continue to explore your website! This is not easy as most social media visitors are anxious to get back to their feed and would rather engage with their friends than your website. You need to give them a very compelling reason to go deeper into your website. This could be a special offer, a next button that takes them to another highly related article, or any other call-to-action, but it has to be compelling or they will always bounce.
- Embed social media buttons on all your content so a social media visitor can easily share it with their friends.
3 tasks to complete
- Make your website mobile-friendly to social users.
- Match social media posts to your content.
- Add social media functionality to your website.
Learn digital marketing. Seven Boats Academy offers online digital marketing class, digital marketing course in Kolkata & digital marketing workshop for students, professionals & entrepreneurs/organizations.