Having a website with terrible on-page optimization is like inviting guests to a dinner and not having the food ready! It is not just the online users that are repelled by faulty on-page SEO. In fact, more than the users, it is the search engine algorithms and crawlers that find it difficult to index your website. You miss out on important SEO juice by not propping up your SEO efforts with smart on-page optimization. Here are the top 5 ways in which you can do a better job of your on-page SEO work:
- Intros: Cut down the use of Java and Flash intros to your website. They often block the entry of the search engine crawlers to your website. It’s like keeping your doors locked when you are expecting guests. Such intros may make your website look better in terms of design and outlook, but seriously damage your website’s accessibility.
- Addresses: Have a clear convention on naming URL addresses for your various web pages in the website. Be consistent rather than random and use key phrases or terms in the URL. To distinguish between two words in the URL, use hyphens. There must be some inherent logic between the sections and subsections that make up your website in the context of URL creation.
- Cannibalism: Guard against your own internal web pages competing against each other for search engine rankings. Optimize each web page in its unique way, preferably with different keywords. This will ensure that your web pages find the status of individual websites in the eyes of search engine crawlers. They will individually combine to get you higher online traffic.
- Title Tags: Title tags and meta descriptions are necessary for the unique identity of a web page within a website. Following the point on Cannibalism, you have to write unique titles and meta descriptions for each web page so that the search engine crawlers know that they exist as unique web pages.
- Robot Guides: Make use of robot.txt files to guide search engine crawlers towards web pages that you want them to crawl before others. You can do that by prioritizing your web pages according to your requirement. It is like a guided tour through your property: you get to pick the rooms you want to show off first!