Now that you have completed your keyword research you probably have a large number of keywords that you’d like to rank for. The next step is to formulate a clear idea of how you want everything to be organized, do this before you start writing any content. It is easier to explain how to organize a silo in person or in a video so be sure to watch all the videos under this objective but here are the steps you will want to follow:
- Select the high level terms for your business. If you are a home remodeler these might be things like kitchen remodeling, bathroom remodeling, etc. These are the links at the bottom or somewhere on your home page that take people to that top-level page. Once you have the kitchen remodeling page scan all the keywords you identified and put links on this page that make sense and are just a little more specific. For instance, kitchen flooring (try to have at least 5-10 pages per level). Under kitchen flooring you would have even more specific content like hardwood kitchen flooring, vinyl kitchen flooring, etc. Remember, silos can be multiple levels deep. Visit ebay.com real quick and start drilling down into a category like “collectables & art,” you can keep drilling down all the way to “Ming Dynasty antiques.” That is a lot of layers!
- Draw everything out. This is your content blueprint. We’d suggest focusing on finishing a silo completely before moving on to the next one. This lets you get all the way down to the long tail, easier to rank for keywords more quickly. Also, don’t forget to localize content if you are a local business (again it is much easier to rank for local keywords than national ones).
- Remember that at the end of the day everything needs to be well written, informative and make sense. Don’t just add layers and layers of content. Really weed out duplicated keywords, keywords that don’t fit and make sure each silo would make sense to a visitor coming in looking for information.
- Last, make sure there are calls-to-action on each page. Having a visitor read about the merits of wood kitchen floors is great. Getting them to contact you or fill out a form for more info is even better!
Steps to complete this task
Organize your keywords into silos based on topic areas.
Map out on paper or digitally all of your potential silos and keywords before you begin any writing.
Make sure each silo is value-added and will make sense to a visitor.
Localize when possible.
Include calls-to-action on each page.
- Perform keyword research to develop a sound SEO strategy.
- Create web pages around your keywords to build content silos.
- Correctly link your silo pages together.