In June 2019, we observed that most websites get about 30% of their overall traffic from returning visitors. The percentage of visitors that come back to your website is usually a pretty good indicator of visitor loyalty. Let’s take a look at a few things that encourage visitors to return and really make sure we are really doing everything possible to entice them back.
Let’s see what we can do to improve this
Here are a few of the factors that influence this metric the most:
- Keep content fresh, visitors get bored if your website never changes. It doesn’t matter what your industry is, just keep content fresh! For example, if you are a restaurant, post weekly menu updates and specials! If you are an ecommerce store, have seasonal changes and featured products. Look at some other websites and see what they are doing.
- Make sure your website works well on smartphones. Over half of all Internet traffic is now mobile. Nothing will keep a visitor from coming back as fast as a slow or hard to navigate website.
- Stay active on social media and keep sending out emails/newsletters to your visitors. People are busy and you need a reason to remind them to return.
Often times, returning visitors convert the best. In many industries people need a bit of time before they make a purchase. The typical process someone goes through, whether they are hiring a DJ or looking for a new car, tends to include the following steps:
- Recognition of a Need: The customer is on a website investigating exactly why your product or service meets their needs.
- Information/Research: At this stage of the buying cycle, the customer is trying to figure out the best solution for their problem (“Do I go with Company X or Company Y?”).
- Analysis and Comparison: Here, the customer probably has two or three companies that they are investigating and it comes down to things like warranty, quality, price, etc….
- Purchasing Decision: The customer is ready to make a purchase from a company.
Returning visitors to your website are usually going to be deeper into this conversion funnel than new visitors. Let’s make sure you are doing everything possible to get as many people as possible back to your website.
4 tasks to complete
- Get your visitors to sign up for emails.
- Create brand authority and trust on your website.
- Get more returning visitors by making sure your user experience is optimized.
- Post to your social media accounts in the most effective ways.