In June 2019, we observed that globally 51% of online traffic comes from mobile devices (i.e. smartphones). Search engines like Google reward sites with better rankings that are not just mobile friendly but ones that also get good engagement when users visit them on smartphones. So, in order to boost your mobile traffic, we need to make sure your site loads fast, is easy to navigate and keeps smartphone users returning. A good goal for your website based on your industry is to try to increase mobile traffic to at least 64% of your total visitors
Social media drives a lot of mobile traffic. People using social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest are more likely than not to be accessing your website on their smartphones. It is important to consider that your social traffic is 5% of your total website traffic. This is very low compared to similar sites where social traffic averages 13%. Continuing to increase social traffic via more quality posts, pins, and tweets will often increase mobile visitors. Low mobile traffic can be also be associated with several other issues:
- Your site is not mobile-friendly and as a result, does not rank well in mobile searches
- You’re not promoting your website enough on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
- Your business is not correctly listed on Google My Business (which gives you access to Google Maps, Google Search, and Google+).
Google’s mobile update changed how its search algorithms rank sites on mobile phones. Some businesses without mobile-readiness slipped as many as 2 to 3 pages in search engine results while businesses with mobile-ready sites moved up. Most importantly, Google now tells its users if a site is mobile-friendly even before they click on the search result.
4 tasks to complete
- Don’t lose mobile traffic to technology, master your mobile website.
- Get more mobile traffic by promoting your website on social media.
- Find people on the go by getting into Google my business.
- Coming in 2017, Google’s Mobile First Index.
Want to learn digital marketing? Seven Boats Academy offers online digital marketing training, classroom digital marketing course in Kolkata & digital marketing workshops for students, professionals & entrepreneurs/organizations.