How to do blog commenting the right way?
Commenting on blogs establishes connections, creates backlinks, and as a side benefit drives traffic. Nearly 5.5 billion comments are left on WordPress blogs each month. While many of these comments are spam and are therefore removed, well-written and thoughtful comments get views, responses, and can even send visitors to a specific site (this is where you come in). When you leave a well-thought-out comment on a popular blog post, any visitors scanning those comments for additional info and resources can see that link and follow it.
As an example, say you have an e-commerce store selling skincare products. One day, you find a great blog post on the benefits of exfoliating. You see plenty of visitors commenting and even the blog author responding to comments. You can leave an insightful comment, addressing the post’s content and sharing valuable information. At the end of your comment, you can then leave a link to an exfoliator you sell and wait for the referral traffic to follow. In a situation like this it is probably best to include the disclaimer that you own the company but you have some great information on your website about this page.
Leaving insightful and informative comments on a blog is one thing, but finding a blog that’s worth commenting on is another. To achieve optimal backlinks as well as referral traffic through blog commenting, keep the following tips in mind to find worthwhile blogs:
- Search for terms in your industry and find the highest ranking blogs. By the very nature of their rank position you can be certain they are authoritative.
- When you are reading content on the blog and looking at comments make sure it is real. We’ve seen some very bad blogs out there that we wouldn’t even want to associate with our website.
- Use a tool like alexa.com or semrush.com to see how approximately how much traffic a blog gets. The more traffic the better and the more time you should spend crafting your posts.
Steps to complete this task
Look for popular blog sites that offer “follow” backlinks. Examples of “follow” blogs are problogger.net, alltop.com, socialtimes.com, searchenginejournal.com, and blogtoplist.com. There are also probably hundreds of smaller blogs run by individuals and organizations that deal specifically with your industry. All of these can provide great backlinks.
Study the blog before writing a comment. Focus on how other comments are written, and make sure the author even allows links to be included in comments (some won’t).
Value in your comments is key. Offer fellow commenters, and even the author, valuable information. This could be insight to your industry, helpful tips, etc. It’s a good idea to precede your link with this information.
Start your comment off strong to pique the interest of readers and commenters. Use the correct language in your comment, and terms the audience is sure to understand. If you’re unsure, leave as much detail and info as possible. Include a strong call to action in your comment, which persuades others to click on your link. The page you’re linking to should also be strong, with useful content or a related product, service, etc.
Try posting to new blogs whenever possible. If you’re an early commenter, your comment will be more visible and could gain better referral traffic.
Sometimes it is appropriate to mention that you are biased because you work in the industry or own a company in the industry but still feel you can offer value.
- Leave comments on blogs relative to your business or industry to get more backlinks.
- Publish guest blog posts and press releases.
- Get links from lists of resources and online directories.
- Engage in other bloggers’ content.
- Generate more traffic by posting on website forums.
- Join blog aggregating sites.
Learn digital marketing. Seven Boats Academy offers online digital marketing class, digital marketing course in Kolkata & digital marketing workshop for students, professionals & entrepreneurs/organizations.