A survey was done on 21,000 Instagram regulars by Facebook to study the behavior of customers when it comes to content uploaded on their Insta profiles. The results are an eye-opener for any digital marketer who is using Instagram for content promotion and product marketing.
Let me take you through some of the highlights of the survey:
- 54% of the respondents said that they buy a product immediately after watching it on Instagram
- 66% of them said that they use Instagram and follow brand profiles because they have the chance to engage with their favourite brands
- 87% of them felt that they may not buy something after watching brand content on Instagram immediately, but they take some action, like checking a brand’s web page
- 53% of the respondents also felt that they follow brand profiles because they enjoy the content shared by the brands
Now the question needs to be asked, if you actually have such a high number of people opting to follow brands because of the content they share, what kind of content would you develop to grab these eyeballs, and probably add to the numbers?
The answer given by participants of the survey is quite interesting. They felt that content which was authentic and genuine appealed to them more. They were not happy with content which was airbrushed to make them look more beautiful. In short, they want to watch the real deal.
This gives a lot of insight into consumer behaviour on Instagram. As digital marketers, the many lessons to learn include:
- Focus on content stories which are short but make an impact. Lengthy content often repel users
- Shoot the products and services images with a lot of care but don’t go overboard with the styling
- If you are selling products and are yet to embrace Instagram in a big way, now is the time to rethink!